Monday, April 9, 2012

The Hunger Games

Directed by Gary Ross

Based on the book by Suzanne Collins

Staring Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson and Liam Hemsworth

See the shorter version here

~Spoiler Alert~

The book was an international hit, selling over 36 million copies in countries all over the world. Fans flooded movie theater plazas and lobbies on March 23rd, to be the first to see the start of the Hunger Games’ Trilogy movie adaptation. In less than 24 hours after the premier, the Hunger Games was declared as the new Harry Potter and Katniss Everdeen as the new Bella Swan; I just had to see it for myself.

As a fan and trilogy reader, I was psyched to see the movie. My friends who had read the book and saw the movie had gushed about how amazing it was through Facebook and MSN. The trailer captured key emotions from the book that shocked the reader and pulled them into the story, as the trailer should. I soon realised though, people who weren’t familiar with the books and hadn’t read the series weren’t attached to the trailer at all. Hunger Games fans studied the movie production’s every move, knowing exactly how the cast was being formed and how the story was laid out. Even the fans who didn’t up until the premier, knew from the brilliant casting and movie promotion what was going on. Strangers to the story were struck with confusion on the events being shown in the trailer; this lead to a lacking of attraction to the film for non-readers.

Finally, when I found the time to see the movie on a less-busier date, a week after it premiered, I prepared myself for an adventure of a life time; a two hour marathon of excitement; an action-packed, on-the-edge-of-your-seat movie experience. What did I receive? A waste of preparation.

The movie starts with a summary of how the actual Hunger Games work in the area of Panem, a waste of time for the readers but a great start for the newcomers. Katniss and her sister, Prim, follow that introduction immediately exposing the closeness of their family. This gave me confidence in the movie, I awaited more emotion that would pull through and hopefully it would be as interesting as the book. After the reaping and the dramatic family separation, the movie just seemed stretched and so long. The training, the Ceasar Flickerman interview, the scenes with Cinna, all seemed so agonisingly long. I have read the book two times before I had seen the movie, which I do believe changed the way I saw it. I think it seemed so long because it was like I was reading it for a third time, knowing all the details that were coming and how much longer until the end.

When they got to the arena, I was hoping for finally, more action, which again, I never got. The slow-motion right at the beginning after the countdown didn’t add to the mood at all. You couldn’t feel the pain of the tributes being stabbed to death when all you saw was Cato carrying a bloody knife. You couldn’t feel the fear of Katniss or Peeta as the ran from the bloodbath too gory to film. I do understand they needed to keep this movie PG which might have been a mistake to the extreme fanatics who were expecting the gore Suzanne Collins expressed in her book.

I have never found myself on Team Peeta or Team Gale but the movie did change my opinion on both. It’s not that I’ve grown to like either one better by the interpretations of the astonishing, young actors, but that the director or the actors must have seen them differently than I had imagined and put them out through his eyes. That is the problem with book to movie adaptations, it’s adapted from the way the director felt the story and anything can be changed. Though, for me, they weren’t changed in a good way. Peeta seemed very weak, very unconfident. In the book he was fairly negative but I don’t recall him being so negative you honestly felt he had no chance; the book made him seem secretly and mysteriously powerful enough to even be second to Katniss. The introduction for Gale is a bit misleading; the book makes him feel like a loyal best friend to Katniss, but he comes out in the movie as a bully who teases Katniss but then, confusingly, immediately supports her later on.

I’m happy to say there are almost no flaws in this movie. No flaws as in something that you see that makes you say, “Seriously? Why would they do that?” Like in Jurassic Park, how you see the enormous, flying pterodactyls soaring in the sky with nothing to keep them in yet they never leave the island's perimeter. The ending was a little wacky though. The obvious inference is Seneca Crane is killed, but how would you expect a rich man to eat the dry, unappetizing Nightlock berries left with him if he is just locked up in a room with them? Also, taking into consideration that he is the Gamemaker and is supposed to be the one who designed the Games so he would have put the poisonous berries in the arena; wouldn't he know those were the poisonous berries he created and wouldn't he be smart enough not to eat them?

I'm not saying it was a terrible movie, I am a fan, I have read the whole series, and as a fan, I was disappointed. If you haven’t read the books, the movie might be great. I can’t tell you how great it was from an outsider’s point of view. I’m not saying you shouldn’t see it. It’s one of those movies that everyone just has to see so they can be on that list with everyone who saw it. It’s like The Titanic, to some people it’s all around amazing, to some it’s a terrible story line but still a great movie, and to some a complete disaster. For anyone who hasn't see it and would like to, I have one thing to say: May the odds be in your favor. 



No comments:

Post a Comment